Jenson Button’s McLaren topped the second day of pre-season Formula 1 testing at Jerez, as the Mercedes-engined teams demonstrated an early advantage in 2014. Button, having missed the whole of Tuesday’s action, put 43 laps in the MP4-29 on the way to setting the fastest lap.
Although he ended up only fourth behind yesterday’s leader Kimi Raikkonen and Williams’ Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg was the only man to complete long runs, lapping the circuit 97 times for the German team.
World Champions Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel endured another troubled day as they ran for only 8 laps, while Toro Rosso’s STR9, which is also powered by a Renault engine, failed to make it out at all.
Jerez Day Two Final Timesheet
1. Button, McLaren, 1:24.165, 43 laps
2. Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:24.812, 47 laps
3. Bottas, Williams, 1:25.344; 35 laps
4. Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:25.588, 97 laps
5. Perez, Force India, 1:28.376, 37 laps
6. Gutierrez, Sauber, 1:33.270, 53 laps
7. Ericsson, Caterham, 1:37.975, 11 laps
8. Vettel, Red Bull, 1:38.320, 8 laps